Friday, November 22, 2013

Lipstick Comparisons: Corals


Launched in the "Lipstick Swatchfest" teaser, I showed my small collection of  plum-based lipsticks and then the red ones. Now it's time for my small coral-based collection of lipsticks.

I wanted these to work because the colors are so pretty, but in truth, they are all too warm against my skin tone, some more than others.



This lineup includes:
This is a pictorial review/swatchfest, not a product review.

Starting below are comparisons to the 12 Tone Cool (True) Summer and Light Summer fans. These slightly bright, slightly saturated cool-neutral corals seem more at home with the Light Summer palette.




The warmish undertones in the lipsticks stand out against the purely cool tones of the Cool Summer palette.



Two in particular, Chanel Romance and Edward Bess Endless Dream, might even suit Soft Summer complexions.



Here are the same two lipsticks compared to the Cool Summer palette. I'd say these are good Summer lipsticks overall--as always, depending on your existing lip pigment.





Clinique's Plushest Punch is quite vibrant, perhaps for the more bold Light Summers.



Or maybe ideally suited for a True Winter, as in the comparison to the palette below. (Maybe even a Bright Winter or Bright Spring, but I don't have those palettes for comparison.)



Guerlain Chamade is a very close match to the Light Summer 6.3 chip.



A color chameleon, Chamade is not too far from the Cool Summer 7.2 chip, and Maytee put it into my "yes" pile after my SciART draping.



Maybelline Eternal Rose was not ideal against my cool coloring. Too vibrant and warm.  Here it is compared to the Light Summer fan:


Revlon Pink About It was wrong wrong wrong on me, but it looks like a great match for Light Summers, those of you who can do matte finishes, anyway. I bet this color tips into Light Spring.




Revlon Sweet Tart looks like a great match for the Cool Summer fan, but it's very pigmented, so perhaps ideal for Winter beauties.



That's all for now. For other posts in the lipstick swatch series, see the following:
Coming soon: Lipstick Comparisons in PINK!


All photos taken by me.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Zuzu,

    I hope you've been doing well lately --- it's wonderful to see your post! I always love swatches of CHANEL Romance. What a pretty pink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dovey, it's great to hear from you! I also love Romance, especially because it's one of the very few in the Rouge Coco Shine lineup that contains NO shimmer.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for such a thorough report.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this, and showing with the fans! That Guerlain shade is on my radar now, will have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Une femme, if I recall you're a Light Summer? If so, Chamade might be perfect for you. I do think the color is more suited for cool-neutral skins, than purely cool. It's slightly sheer and moderately with just a trace of sunny warmth. And NO shimmer! (Sorry, if seem to be establishing a pattern here )

      Delete
  3. SQUEE! New post!! :)
    I don't know why colors I KNOW won't work for me are the most appealing. Chanel Romance is so soft and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bellyhead! I find Romance to be a bit of a chameleon, like Guerlain RA Chamade. Perhaps because it's sheer and allows the natural lip pigment to shine through?

      Delete
    2. Ah! Chamade, another glorious color that made me feel like the clown. Tis a cruel world.

      Delete
  4. So happy to see a post from you again, Zuzu! :D I find coral to be the most challenging of shades (well, with the exception of a true "nude"), so I love the thoroughness of this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Larie. Nice to see, you, too! I agree with you on the nude thing, but you already knew that, I bet. (:

      Delete
  5. You are the only other person I know on whom Guerlain Chamade is a coral. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, so unfair! I'd love to be able to wear corals and bronzes.

      Delete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.